Protection against floods
Protection against floods
At high tide every thing is located to protect his own possessions as possible. of course, protect value not only possessions but usually also their owners.
In an emergency, it will indeed hardly be avoided in a flood area that the house and its inhabitants get your feet wet, but there are effective ways to keep flood damage in the frame.
We present here the most important protective and preventive measures, as well as some general rules of conduct for emergencies.
Contents: protection against floods
- Flood protection in the house
- Rules of conduct and emergency equipment
- Behavior at high water outdoors
- What to do if the flood is over
Flood protection in the house
Below we give you a list of the hand that presents the options in a nutshell, you have to protect your home in an emergency. For more and especially detailed information please read the article about auführlicheren flood-proof doors, flood walls and sandbags for flood protection.
Make sure that you time ...
- Doors and windows by flaps, boards, sheets or sandbags secure,
- flood-prone garages and spaces (especially in the basement) free themselves from hazardous materials / chemicals
- Heating and electrical equipment off,
- (At least in hazardous areas) completely shut off the electricity and gas,
- check the house drainage system and the return flap in the cellar.
Rules of conduct and emergency equipment
Once the flood occurs, you have to give for certain time on a lot. Convert as always with the fact that the power goes out or there are other supply bottlenecks. So that you are still armed and ready for any eventuality, we have put together a Notfalliste.
Emergency equipment for disaster
- Food and drinking water supply for several days
- basic technical equipment
- Candles / tea lights and Lighter
- Batterieberiebenes radio with FM and AM reception
- a network-independent emergency lighting (for example, gas lamps, flashlights)
- a network-independent cooking facilities (for example, camping stove)
- sufficient supply of denatured alcohol / gas cartridges / propane
- Protective clothing such as rubber boots and rain protection
- Medications (especially for vulnerable and sick people in the family)
- DIN-aid kit (gauze, bandage scissors, wound disinfectant, plasters, bandages, triangular bandage)
- cold Medicine
- Mückenstich- and sunburn ointment
- splinter forceps
- Skin disinfectant
- Water sterilizing agent (available in the trade Camping)
- Camping toilet and replacement fluid
(For a complete list, the Federal Office for Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance available online: www.bbk.bund.de)
Especially in flood-prone regions, should additionally be present for protective and defensive measures:
- Films, boards, sandbags
- Pump (s) to the cellar drainage
- Emergency generator and enough fuel
Behavior at high water outdoors
Handicap no helpers at work (Bundesanstalt Technisches Hilfswerk / Wikipedia)
It can happen that you have to leave your house at high tide or be surprised at a bad time on the water. In such cases it is remain calm and observe a few things. This will bring neither himself nor others at risk and facilitate the work of assistants. Take action considerate and prudent and take the barricades forces seriously. Flooded roads can not be traveled by car! Endangered vehicles must, if possible, be removed in time. Remember that firefighters and other support staff are not competent to top up sandbags at your doorstep, pump out your basement and look after just about you. If you find injured, inform the emergency services and first aid.
What to do if the flood is over
Even with all the precautions and flood control systems, it is often impossible to prevent flooding in that the water penetrates into your home. Try despite the many work and so some damage restore the normal state as soon as possible. But not without first receiving the malicious inventory accurately. Go clean up before a certain pattern.
Before you can start cleaning up, in most cases, the construction must first be drained. Read more about it on the side on cellar poop.
Measures while cleaning
- Check electrical equipment before switching
- If pollutants (paint, oil, etc.) may be leaked, call the fire brigade and avoid smoking or open flames
- Mark the water levels reached
- Document any damage
- Talk to your insurer damages, losses and costs incurred
- Dispose of damaged items only after consulting with your insurer
- All repairs after consultation with the insurer best done by specialist companies