Wood worm control
Wood worm control
Woodworm fight made easy
The (also known as Common Furniture BeetleAnobium punctatum) known woodworm has mostly hungry and caused great damage to at wooden furniture and components.
When the worm or its larvae have once begun to eat through the wood and can be seen on the wood surface the typical small woodworm holes, it is high time for the Wood worm control. Otherwise there is a beloved piece of furniture or an important architectural structure to be completely destroyed.
Woodworm or Hausbock well and Powder post beetle, which are also part of the wood-destroying insects must be eliminated as soon as possible gets. Here you will learn how to recognize a woodworm infestation and how the eliminate woodworm.
Contents: fight woodworm
- can fight woodworm take years
- Appearance and development of wood worms
- Preferred types of wood woodworm
- Bankirai woodworm?
- Abnormalities in woodworm infestation
- Chemical means to combat woodworm
- Biological agents and home remedies to combat woodworm
- prevent woodworm infestation
can fight woodworm take years
Most often, the woodworm falls through Holes of 1 to 2 mm diameter on, from which the debris swells. This is primarily a sign that the larvae are active in the wood still and eat through the early wood.
In most cases, you'll find the furniture beetle preference in Basements, attics, churches, Firewood camps and abandoned buildings, for these are opposed to living rooms often heated. In a domestic environment the woodworm the wood is simply too dry because the moisture content usually only between 8-10 percent. If the woodworm still show up in living rooms, the wood was dampened too often such. For example, by wiping.
Here woodworm linger like where they grew up and lay there their eggs from which the larvae hatch. If you are dealing with woodworm infestation So again, make sure that you rinse the fight woodworm. Otherwise you have after one to four years, again the same problem. As long as the larvae need usually to develop. Under unfavorable conditions, the development time of larvae can last eight years even before they become a beetle and store new eggs. So if a eliminate woodworm infestation wants, above all, the need to get rid of the larvae.
Appearance and development of wood worms
Larva of a wood worm
Before you can fight the furniture beetle, one has to know how this looks at all. Because a wood worm is very similar to the drugstore beetle. In most cases, the furniture beetle is 3 to 5 mm long, has a dark brown color and one oval outline. His head is protected by a neck shield. Three slightly enlarged end members are the antennas. The larvae the wood worm are strongly curved, but have strong mandibles, with which they eat the wood.
Each female lays about 20 to 30 eggs in a wood from cracking. Their larvae hatch after 3 weeks, bore into the wood and develop it up to 4 years. Once the larva is fully grown, they pupate and the adult beetles leave the wood.
Preferred types of wood woodworm
Woodworm perforated timber
Especially sapwood is popular with the furniture beetle. Colored heartwood is of pine, larch, Douglas fir and oak contrast only sustained attack attacked. edit this for years the woodworm the same piece of wood, until they have resolved it outright.
Especially early wood is prone to furniture beetle. This means that the bright areas in the annual rings meant mostly formed in the spring. the firmer late wood however, is spared. But exactly this creates a lamellar structure in wood and it loses its strength.
Furthermore infested wood worms only dead and and built by Wood. Live or very fresh wood steer clear contrast. However, playing the Older the wood for the attack not matter. Whether a centuries old roof or only a few years old garden bench, does not matter the woodworm. The main thing he can settle in dead and damp wood.
People with Bankirai- or Bangkirai wood floors do occasionally worry that their wood was infested with woodworm. This is due to the fact that Bankirai has often so-called pinholes. These are wormholes, caused by the ambrosia beetle, which is active on the live or freshly felled tree. But in the timber, he is no longer a danger. Therefore, the small holes are considered to be available commercially and are not a defect.
To learn more about Bangkirai, refer to under decking.
// Page: heimwerker.de/_heimwerker_relaunch_2012/garten_und_aussenanlagen, Format: Standard Banner (under theme) 468x60
SmartAdServer ( '37381/278908' 16464, '');
Abnormalities in woodworm infestation
First, drop the aforementioned Holes of 1 to 2 mm diameter on, are more common among woodworm infestation. Of the number these holes you can mostly on inner destruction Close the timber. But while the larvae of wood worm stay in their holes, the larvae of other parasites often come to light and fall more quickly on. In addition, the Emissions of debris especially noticable. The more debris you find, the greater the infestation by woodworm.
Chemical means to combat woodworm
First, the method of combat woodworm also depends a little of their occurrence. Should it with a large number of woodworm have to do, it is usually better if you either chemical agents work - please fully respect all safety instructions note of the agent used - or contact one professional exterminator.
If, however, only a small portion of the wood, or even a piece of furniture or affected, you can use the following biological agents and home remedies try out. Because this is usually better for the environment and health.
Buy Holzwurmtod at Westfalia
Biological agents and home remedies to combat woodworm
- Woodworm can only survive in wood that also correspondingly damp is. So if you, for example, have an old infested piece of furniture which you want to save and get rid of the wood worms, move the furniture in a centrally heated room. Due to the increasing Drying of the wood the larvae will die. You need have no fear that other wooden parts are affected in space, because they are already dried out sufficiently.
- Furthermore, woodworm are highly responsive to heat. mostly rich 55 degrees Celsius in order to destroy the woodworm. This has to do with the protein core. Because woodworm consist largely of protein, you can decompose this heat and thus eliminate the woodworm. Therefore, take the appropriate piece of wood and place it for example in the Oven or sauna and leave it there until one hour rest at said temperature.
- If it is not "mobile" Piece of wood, but a solid bar, you can try the following trick: Woodworm love acorns. Therefore Put a few acorns near the affected area. The woodworm will feel attracted by the smell. Once it has pulled the worms out of the holes, you can fight the woodworm.
- Another variant is the Boron salt against woodworm. It works as a preventative as Fighting against woodworm in sufficient dosage. Since the salt but not far from entering the wood cross section, it is only relatively late, more precisely only added when flying out of full insects. Existing larvae can continue to eat for a while before they come for the first time as a full insects into contact with the salt. But with permanent treatment with boron salt of woodworm should be completely controlled.
- Another home remedy is ammonia. Ask a shallow dish Salmiakgeist on the affected piece of furniture on. Unpack the furniture airtight with foil and tape and let it stand for a few days. The spreading vapors ensure that the larvae die. But beware: Some woods such as oak or beech can change color. For softwood this method should the Wood worm control however not be a problem.
At this point again to note that it is mainly the larvae are that should be eliminated in the wood worm control. While one can relatively easily destroy adult woodworm, it is the larvae that cause long term trouble. So check carefully whether the residue combat woodworm to have. Otherwise there is a possibility that you have to start all over again a few years later because the remaining larvae have evolved and deposit new eggs in the wood.
prevent woodworm infestation
Because it particularly on the woodworm Moisture content of wood arrives, you should ensure that Wood stored dry well can or is dry. Wood should outdoors lie never directly on the floor, because the soil moisture drying otherwise prevented and further soaked the wood even. They also put wood on the best always a Plans, to protect it from rain.
at Exterior wood can with you weather-shielding means work that you apply as a stain on the wood. These contain mostly Although no drugs against the insects themselves, but are water-repellent and photoprotective, whereby the wood can not be too moisten. An exception is the Holzwurmtod of Westfalia. This Holzwurmtod is a wood stain that you need to emphasize on the wood. It contains an active ingredient against woodworm, whereby they can not even occur.
in the interior in turn, use only agents with the blue angels are in because you otherwise put your own health at risk. Since you are spared in the warm living rooms usually of wood worms, your controls on the roof and the like can concentrate. Check there occasionally if moisture penetrates into the wood.
And as soon as you notice the first signs of woodworm infestation, you should with the Woodworm fighting begin.